karen2205: Me with proper sized mug of coffee (Default)
Karen ([personal profile] karen2205) wrote2010-08-18 03:43 pm

Eee PC

<abuse of internet>If I want a roll up, flexible keyboard to go with my Eee PC (which runs the ASUS operating system, not Windows) which sort of keyboard do I want? </abuse of internet>
pseudomonas: (Default)

[personal profile] pseudomonas 2010-08-18 02:54 pm (UTC)(link)
Pretty much any USB keyboard ought to work. You might want to avoid keyboards with such bells-n-whistles as large numbers of extra special buttons, built-in trackpads, built-in USB hubs, and so on, which *might* work, but might be a bit of hassle with drivers.
lovingboth: (Default)

[personal profile] lovingboth 2010-08-19 12:46 pm (UTC)(link)
Yes, any USB keyboard should work even if some 'special' buttons don't do what they'd do on Windows (with assorted driver software loaded).

I suspect the real answer is that you don't want a roll up one: they're pretty horrible to type on. If this is for travelling around, try visiting a shop with a choice and see what works for you in terms of size and usability.

If this is for using it in more than one location, get more than one real keyboard and leave them at the office / wherever.

[personal profile] murb 2010-08-19 11:07 pm (UTC)(link)
I bought such a keyboard, i never used it much, just took it out plugged it in and it hardly works at all. I should probably put this one in the WEEE bin. You may want to look at happy hacker style keyboards. As a previous poster said any USB HID keyboard device should just work.
ext_60092: (Default)

[identity profile] yady.livejournal.com 2010-08-18 03:03 pm (UTC)(link)
I have never used a roll-up keyboard, but the external keyboard I use (a wireless one, not bluetooth based, bought at Lidl) worked out of the box on my EePC with the default Xandros OS. I expect the vast majority of keyboards will work fine, so you should choose one based on what you consider pleasant to use.

The keyboard I use is about as large as the EeePC's own keyboard, and has a touchpad area built in, too. I suppose using this with an EeePCwould not be very useful for most people (still small keys, no separate numeric keypad, most people seem to prefer a mouse) but for me the disconnection between screen and keyboard is mainly what I want. And it happens to have a slightly more pleasant feel to it, for me, when typing.

[identity profile] striketheband.livejournal.com 2010-08-18 03:59 pm (UTC)(link)
I would imagine that a standard USB flexible/roll up keyboard will work just fine :)

[identity profile] brrm.livejournal.com 2010-08-18 07:14 pm (UTC)(link)
Ones that look like this: http://www.techfresh.net/wireless-roll-up-usb-keyboard/

are marginally less hateful than ones that look like this:


The former are sort of rubbery, like a spectrum keyboard if you've encountered those, but with more travel. The latter are fairly sturdy plastic. I have one, and wouldn't use it for anything other than very slow ponderous typing in an environment where nothing else would do, e.g. kitchen or garageterm. As [livejournal.com profile] striketheband says, I think pretty much all wired USB keyboards should talk to the Eee fine.

For serious typing, you might be better off with something like the ThinkOutside Stowaway folding keyboard (also sold under the Dell brand), now sadly discontinued but probably available on ebay. Feels much more like a small laptop keyboard when unfolded. May require bluetooth faff.